Monday, May 25, 2015

The eyedropper in my Kipling bag.

"Sometimes working in a Third World country makes me feel like I am emptying the ocean with an eyedropper. And just when I have about half a cup full of water it rains: more orphaned children from the north migrate to where I live, more abandoned and dead babies are found, more people are infected with HIV. It is enough to discourage even the most enthusiastic and passionate person." 
Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis

I had been reading this New York Times Bestseller on my trip to Santiago and this really hit home. I had traveled for hours on public transport to share a message that goes completely against the culture. Hope. 

We, from the Western culture, have got it. We go to the Passion conferences and sing "Mighty to Save" and when someone has a foundation to save something, whether a whale or a starving child, we are SO on that! We love to help and give and basically feel like we are doing something to change the world. 

This mindset is still making it's way here.

Don't get me wrong. Dominicans will give their shirt off their back... Feed you their last meal... Give you a pedicure when you just stopped over to say hello (yes, this has happened more than once) but as we have advertised and publicized and announced the beauty of the Lily House which has a spa, gift shop and pastry shop so that these women can make a living in an "honorable" way... we have seen that the culture is not quite ready for this.

Buy a cupcake from a former prostitute?! Get my nails done by a woman who has lost count of the numerous men from her past?! But she's changed! Yeah... We know that. But the country is not quite here yet.

I actually realized this as I gazed across the classroom and noticed all the Kipling bags. HA-HA! Ok Americans might not find this funny... But Bermudians, don't you remember when those things were in style?! So flipping expensive, but everyone wanted one! Lol. I never had the privelage of owning one, but I remember those little monkeys that each bag has like it were yesterday.

Anyways!!! While I looked around the room I actually thought... They're not here yet. Just like Kipling bags are JUST now in style here, maybe the Passion craze isn't too far behind. 

And so I picked up my eyedropper and shared. 

I shared what God is doing and how HE has changed lives and moved mountains and wow... I was excited! And the students were excited too!!! They asked questions and participated. Then I packed up my eyedropper (I trust you understand the metaphor) and walked out to the rest of the school and it RAINED. Like a billion other students!!! Young, little, happy Dominican faces... What will it take to change the mind-set of the future?! 

Pastor Nate Jude reminded me of this again in his message this morning. He spoke of when he used to work at a plant nursery and how one day his boss told him and his workmates that as soon as they finished planting a certain number of trees they could leave. Well he and his buddies worked their butts off, so excited to get it done and go home early. Once they had finished, long before lunchtime, his boss laughed since he knew it was impossible. Nate insisted until his boss took him to another section of the field to show him several more trees to plant. They wouldn't be done before the end of the day. 

By reaching the lowest of the low, the filthy, the sinners... Prostitutes... We are going against the culture. But to expect that people might recieve a pastry that they made with their hands, even more so. 

Still we will continue to share and educated. We will pray and serve and fight for the women that we have the blessing of being with every single day.

I was reminded of the eyedropper yesterday when a Lily called. Frustrated, angry, ready to give up. We talked and prayed together over the phone... Thankfully the Lord calmed her heart and life went on. All is well in the world...until something else happens and another Lily struggles... And it rains.

One of our "homeless" (he is actually a run-away) boys called yesterday. "Hey, just to let you know. I came home. I'm working with my dad and I'm doing ok." Yay!!! Our little eyedropper drops a pinch of water in to the cup... But how many other other kids are sleeping on the streets tonight.... And it rains.

I'll be meeting with a girl from the streets this week. Woohoo! One sweet soul that is one step closer to knowing her Savior. Then how many more women are out there... And it rains.

One of Robersy's boys got baptized and another recieved Christ. Robersy's cup is almost over flowing I think! God has been so good to the baseball ministry! But within a group of 70+ kids, there are others who still need the Lord... And it rains.

There will ALWAYS be work to do. Dory said it best when she said, "Just keep swimming." :) The cool thing is... Robersy and I aren't in this alone. There are hundreds of men and women all over the Dominican Republic with the same heart.

We want to see people saved! We want to see women off the streets! We want to see children cared for! We want to see men with jobs to provide for their families... And parents in general taking an interest in ther kids! We want to see young people educated! We want to see lives changed.

So don't put down that eyedropper friends! And when it rains... Take a moment, dance with joy for the harvest God has provided... And keep at it!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. It is so good to see what God is doing. Without those drops, the ocean can seem so large.

    ReplyDelete