Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Searching for a quiet place

Drills humming, hammers banging, dogs barking, girls talking, guys shouting, bikes buzzing, buses honking… such are the sounds of the Dominican Republic. I've attempted to slip away to find a quiet place. 

As outgoing as everyone thinks I am, I CRAVE silence. Each day I look for time to be alone with my thoughts, to pray, to meditate, to read… BUT there is little quiet to be found most days.

Each Tuesday morning I've been studying David with the women at Lily House. We think about his call to be King, his fight with Goliath, his friendship with Jonathon. But there is one area that has fascinated me lately.

When Saul was searching for David in order to kill him, David hid within the mountains and caves. But he wasn't alone! 1 Samuel 22:2 tells us that he was travelling with about 400 men who were “distressed… in debt… bitter in soul.” He was their leader! 400 men with a bunch of problems. With so many problems I doubt there was much quiet as they hid within the caves.

Have you ever traveled with your family or some friends?! Golly… I have faded memories of rope and duct tape for how rowdy my sisters and I were as we traveled around the states, Canada and Scotland! LOL. My poor parents!

Now think about David travelling with 400 men with serious issues!!! Phew!

This is why I am in awe…

Can you imagine David sneaking out of the cave before the sun had risen… the sound of men snoring in the background… and David writing the Psalms. Prayers, words of anguish, songs, fears all penned as he sat before the mighty throne of God Almighty.

Makes my struggle to find a quiet place seem petty!

Then I read Psalm 63. 

“O GOD, YOU are my GOD; EARNESTLY I SEEK YOU; my soul THIRSTS for YOU, my flesh FAINTS for YOU.”

“My soul CLINGS to YOU; YOUR right hand UPHOLDS me.”


“Quiet” is the last thing my heart ought to crave in comparison.

It has been an honor to SEE this verse in action this week. Women and men who THIRST for HIM...


Robersy shared with me about one of his boys who couldn’t stay quiet during the devotional at baseball practice. He just had to share what God had been teaching him.

A young lady who attended youth group asked to publicly apologize to another girl that she had offended. She wanted to make things right before God.

Even this morning (Tues) a teary Lily gave thanks for her new Bible. She had been praying for one and understood that it was GOD who had provided.


Oh GOD give us the same desire!!! More than QUIET... may we crave HIM!

No comments:

Post a Comment