Monday, June 9, 2014

I'm a nerd.

Daily confession... I am a nerd.
There, I said it.
I really am!
I watch animal planet, have a fact calendar and love to learn new things.
Two Christmases ago my parents bought me a calendar where you learn a new word every day. I LOVED IT! Best present ever.

Recently I was studying for a devotional that I gave this morning and researched some of the words. I discovered my new favorite definition.

Surrender =  To agree to stop fighting, hiding or resisting because you know that you will not win or succeed.

Now, I have used this word a million times but look at that definition! Just imagine it in the popular hymn "I Surrender All"...

"I agree to stop all fighting, hiding or resisting because I know I will not win or succeed,
I agree to stop all fighting, hiding or resisting because I know I will not win or succeed,
All to Jesus I agree to stop fighting, hiding or resisting because I know I will not win or succeed,
I agree to stop all fighting, hiding or resisting because I know I will not win or succeed."

Of course it wouldn't go with the rhythm or flow of the song, but I'm sure even if it did, it wouldn't be sung as often as it is now. People don't like to give up everything! Bodies, minds, control.

It's something I have to do daily. My will, my way, my, my, my... until it becomes His, His, His, His...

His ministry.
His children.
His plans.

I can try to manipulate everything to be my way, but then it's not true surrender. And that is what we as Christians are called to do. Surrender. ALL!

Making sure to get the con-con
Robersy and I have been reminded of this daily. For example, we are currently waiting for construction to be finished so that we can move in to our new apartment before a new family moves in to ours. Talk about freaking out! We have two weeks! God knows. Can't the guys work faster? God sees. Time is passing by. God is still in control.

Happens in ministry too. I've shared my fears of not being good enough and God says, "Let me handle it!"

And he sure has been handling it!

This morning a friend and I spent time learning how to make rice and beans with a lady we met on street ministry. It was a lot of fun and I actually learned a LOT, but more than that I came to understand why she does what she does. It allowed me to see her in her home with her children and we understand her situation more. This opens huge opportunities for ministry!

We've also been invited to share the Gospel at a brothel later this week. Pray for the Boca Chica ministry that is continuing to grow!

Meanwhile Robersy is coaching a LOT of baseball. But I love that his ministry expands so much greater than that. This past Sunday he even got choked up when he realized it was 2 of the kids birthday and their parents hadn't even realized. The boys have become more than just baseball players... he loves them like his sons. Pray as Robersy continues to share Christ through word and action!

Robersy with his new BFF, Monty
Youth group was particularly exciting this week as Geronimo Ventura (SCORE missionary) came to talk with the teens about living a godly life. Recently we've been noticing more and more teens living a double life. He shared his own testimony and reminded the kids that we are not promised tomorrow! We are excited to follow up with the young people who made decisions and keep pouring in to their lives!

So it's been a fab week and we are praising Jesus for what He is doing here in the Dominican!!!



That's us... how about you?
We'd love to hear about what God is doing in you and through you!
Keep in touch.

rslara14@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment