Monday, December 14, 2015

White girls can't dance... but I still do.

"Today I choose to dance :)"

Last week I focused on thankfulness and choosing to dance in ALL circumstances, but last night I accidentally took it too far! 

I danced... in public.

Now, let me say, I am all for a little dancing. I love how David danced in the presence of the Lord and I've been able to witness some beautiful dancing. But I will say one thing. This white girl can't dance.

Ask my hubby who desperately tried to teach me in our first few months of marriage. This is the same man that entered dance competitions for fun... 

I try, but I'll be the first to tell you. Don't expect anything pretty! HA-HA!

But in celebrating the birth of our Savior I just couldn't help myself! 

Our God... GOD ALMIGHTY, YAW-EH, SAVIOR, LORD OF ALL... chose to humble Himself and come in human form to dwell among us. EMMANUEL - God with us.

Not only that, but then He chose the most obscure vessel in which to come. A lowly virgin. Mary.

He could have entered the world with a chariot of horses. But He slipped in to our world unnoticed in the unlikeliest place. A stable??? A cave??? Among the animals :)

This week a friend and I had an interesting discussion about the place where Jesus was born. A stable or a cave... either way, I'm just thankful He came! 

And as a side note, let me tell you, being pregnant at Christmas is the coolest thing! I feel like I understand Mary a tiny bit more. I feel for her too. I cringe each time I get on a motorcycle taxi never mind riding a donkey for days!

As I've mentioned before, traditions are a little different here in the Dominican. Now, SOME people go crazy shopping like I'm accustomed to growing up in Bermuda... but in "el campo" (countryside) it is definitely more about family and FOOD! People will travel miles to be with family for a day or two and instead of sitting around playing with new gizmos and gadgets, they'll chat for hours on end while snacking on apples, grapes and gummy candies.

No matter how you celebrate, as believers we have SO much more to celebrate! A King who gave it all up to come to earth, live a perfect but VERY difficult life, and then died a cruel death on the cross... for me.

What greater gift.

Even though we focus on the 24th (here in the DR) and the 25th (State-side/Bermuda/UK/etc.), we have a reason to celebrate every day! Because Christ isn't just a Savior who died... He rose again and REIGNS VICTORIOUS!

For this reason we live and laugh and dance! But of course, He gives us reasons to dance every day!

This week we've watched our risen Savior do some pretty cool things right before our eyes.


A passport received for Y which will then lead to other things for her and her family in the near future.

An open invitation to a brothel on Wednesday morning where we shared the Gospel and loved on the precious girls who feel as though they are not worthy of anything more than selling their bodies on the street.

A Lily who came to the ministry unable to read, read her first book!!!

The church Christmas play went FANTASTIC!

Some families of Robersy's baseball boys came to our church's Christmas play where the Gospel was given and then a few came back the following night for church as well.

A group brought down a stroller that we had purchased in the States. Someone on the team put it together and it's ready to go... we're going to be parents... AH!!!


We have so many reasons to praise the LORD every day of our lives. If you think you don't have a reason, send me a message and I'll send you a list (especially since - if you are living, breathing and physically able to send me a message, you are more blessed than you can imagine).

Enjoy these photos from the week and remember how blessed we truly are.

The lovely dancers before the play
Lights. Camera. Action.
Robersy sharing the Gospel


The cast celebrating after the show.
Always a photo-op :)

A few of our "sons."






After a morning of baking with friends... we got a little crazy :)
This is Tonky.


My sweet Chiquita




























Now excuse me while I turn on my Christmas music... and DANCE!



No comments:

Post a Comment