Monday, December 7, 2015

I think the turkey is pregnant!

I've eaten a LOT of turkey in my lifetime. Even though I am not American, we faithfully have it each Thanksgiving, we enjoy it most Christmases AND I savour it sliced on sandwiches throughout the year. I love turkey! 

However, I have rarely had the opportunity to cook it myself. Until this year on our Lily House trip to Jarabacoa...

A fellow missionary and fellow preggo (Sarah D.) was in charge of the bird and she allowed me to help her. After a thorough washing, massage and lots of seasoning it looked ready. 

The oven was set and everything was ready to go... until I remembered. There has to be a reason that people lose their wedding rings and other devices in the turkey's bum. 

"Did you check it?" I asked. 
"I don't think there's anything else." She answered. 

As I bent over and squinted to see what was up the dark canal I concluded, "If there isn't anything else... I think the turkey is pregnant."

I felt as though I got a glimpse into the world of an OB-GYN as I slid my hand in. Doing my best to deliver the Turklet with care.

FUN FACT: A male turkey is called a tom or a gobbler, a female turkey a hen, and a baby turkey a poult or chick. A young male turkey is called a jake and a young female is called a jenny. A group of wild turkeys is called a flock, a group of domesticated turkeys is commonly referred to as a rafter.

I found that when I Googled hoping that a baby turkey was actually called a Turklet.

Apparently "Jenny" was not preggo. Only giblets to be found. However, the turkey rocked and we gobbled it up!

I love that Ecclesiastes 3 tells us that there will be times like these. "A time to laugh." (v.4)

But over the last few weeks I feel like I've experienced most of the emotions mentioned in this passage. Laughter, tears, thinking I was dying...

That is where our centipede friend comes in.
An innocent walk with the dogs turned into a confrontation with a foot long centipede. I have never felt so disgusted than having that creature crawling all over my foot and ankle.

I'm not entirely sure how it got there. I was under a tree at the time so I'm not sure if it fell and landed on my foot OR if it had been asleep in the middle of the road and I happened to wake it up. Either way... having a cockroach (basically Bermuda's national bird! lol) across my foot would have been preferable. Especially when that little bugger stung me!!! Right on my big toe!

I have never felt so much pain from an insect. 
I hobbled to the house knowing that Robersy would question my actions (He thinks every time I get myself into things like this it's because I'm doing something stupid. Which is partly true... HOWEVER, not this time!). 

Thoughts of big-toe amputations and an early baby delivery rushed through my mind (thanks Google) but thankfully everything turned out OK. "A time to be born and a time to die." (v. 2) I'm glad it wasn't my time.

There are SO many more stories to tell. One day I will really write a book. But God has called us to a life of adventure while serving Him on the mission field.

In between trying to move while balancing regular ministry, baby classes/appointments and just trying to live a normal life, I have realized one thing. Our life is anything but normal.

I actually LOL'd as I wrote that. As I write this I can hear the pigs running around and eating next door (I'm not being mean about our neighbors... they really are PIGS), I can hear motoconchos (motorcycle taxis) loaded with students on their way to school, I hear a man on a megaphone selling and trading used goods, but I can also see the sunrise.

In this crazy world we live in, there is reason to laugh, cry, sit quietly, love and dance. 

Today I choose to dance :)

Yesterday I did so (in my heart) with 10 baseball boys that just came to hang out/ EAT!!!/ play wii, dominoes, etc.  at the house while I spent some time with a friend.

I'll do so again today with 4 GAP students (students that are here to study for a year) that are coming to help us get the house in order.

And I'll continue to do so each day this week with the many people that God has chosen to place in our path and ministry.

I hope you choose to dance today too!

No comments:

Post a Comment