Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Oh hey Christmas, you sneaky little sneaker!

I remember when I was only a few months pregnant.
Robersy recommended watching a movie, I got comfortable and within 10 minutes I was FAST asleep on the couch.
Watching movies with me is no fun.
However, when I opened my eyes, Robersy's face was right in my face! 

***WARNING: Never scare a pregnant woman!***

Freaked me out!
I thought I was going to deliver the baby right on our apartment floor!!!

This feeling came to me again on Friday. 
One week until Christmas?! 
Like Robersy's glaring eyes in my poor sleepy face. LOL.

I can hardly believe that Christmas is here already. 
Where did the year go?

One year ago... and since then so much has happened!!!

Next week I may elaborate a little more on some memories from the year, but today I want to focus on the the next few days ahead.

Sometimes things get SO crazy that they fly by and we miss it.

Even the story of Christ's birth is SO quick (you can read Luke 1 and 2 in about 7 minutes!) that we forget it was 9 MONTHS!

I shared last week about how being pregnant at Christmas has given me some insight on Mary's pregnancy journey (although not at all the same... but, you know what I mean!).

We think a sparkly Angel showed up, had a chit-chat with Mary - boom she was preggo and in a few short verses Jesus was born!

But for 9 beautiful months Mary watched her body transform. Others did too. Comments were made, rumors were spread and very few believed the story.

I'm sure she lost a lot of friends during those 9 months. Perhaps it was one of the most lonely times of her life. But in her womb she could feel flutters, kicks, karate punches and somersaults from Emmanuel, God with us.

I imagine she looked at other children and wondered what Jesus would be like. What would He look like? Would he suck His thumb? What would be His first word? Would He be sociable?

9 months of waiting and dreaming of her little Boy.

As time drew closer I wonder if she experienced Braxton Hicks contractions. I wonder if she had to give up running (yeh, I think I'm at that point people!). And I'm almost 100% sure that when she headed to Bethlehem, she sat side-saddle on that donkey.

***Side Note: that previous thought came to me when I caught a motorcycle taxi to the grocery store last week. Dominican roads are not the smoothest and my poor driver had the sun in his eyes, so he says. Thankfully he was going to speed of a trotting donkey... HOWEVER... oh, poor Mary***

Then it happened. No doctor or doula. No exercise ball or warm bath tub. No options of c-section, epidurals, or pain meds.

And what did they use to cut the umbilical cord?

Emmanuel. God with us.

The most beautiful story in Heaven and on Earth is something incredible to ponder. But when we get "wrapped up" (see what I did there?! lol) in the hustle and bustle of the Christmas holidays we miss so much.

One of my favorite songs at Christmas is "While You Were Sleeping" by Casting Crowns.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rqhG2yT-58

Reminds me that even though getting/giving gifts, baking cookies, looking at Christmas lights, searching for a black Santa (yet to find one here...), even being with friends and family is such a fun and CRAZY time... don't lose sight of why we celebrate.

Don't let it jump in your face, send you for a loop and allow it pass by so quickly that you miss out on special times to share the best Christmas gift ever with others. 

Jesus Christ. Emmanuel. God with us!

HE IS HERE! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq801o0WyXA
By Darlene Zschech

He is here
The Savior has been born
The one we've waited for
Surrounded by our praises

He is here
The promise of the king
To You our lives we bring
Let your glory be revealed

Joy to the World
Peace to all who love Him
The savior has been born
And all the heavens smile

Glory to God
We bring an offering to You
Join with all the angels
Singing Hallelujah


MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM THE LARAS!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment