Monday, April 7, 2014

Crusty Clothing

“I'm still wearing my clothes from last night,” she whispered to me as we slipped in to a back row of the church.

“Don’t worry about it,” I answered back.

“No seriously… I smell like alcohol and men.”

My heart dropped for her. She was clearly embarrassed. “Then just sit close to me… I’m just excited you’re here!”

Dirty rags.
Filthy clothes.
And seated in the most unlikely place of all, a Church.

But then it hit me. Check this out…
Zechariah 3:4, “The angel said to those who were standing before him, "Take off his filthy clothes." Then he said to Joshua, "See, I have taken away your sin, and I will put fine garments on you."

Bear with me a second! I know that this particular verse is out of context, but doesn’t it show an AWESOME picture of what Christ does for us?!

He doesn’t say, “Ok, go get showered and changed first. Then I will accept you.”
He says, “Get over here!!! Now let me help you get rid of those nasty rags (sin) and I will clothe you in these beautiful clothes (righteousness).”

Since God showed me this awesome word picture last Sunday, He has reminded me of it over and over and over again this week, which is why I finally decided to share it with all of you.

Both Robersy and I had the privilege of helping with a mission team of over 300 people. We translated, preached the Gospel, gave out food, attempted to build a house… then played with kids since I (Sarah) have no construction skills (mom, did I even play with Lego as a kid?! Golly!), visited homes and talked to a LOT of people.

After my experience with my new friend in church, I couldn’t help look at the clothing of each person I spoke to. I didn’t judge them or ridicule them… I just took notice.

Shirts with holes.
Broken flip-flops.
Torn pants.
Dirt.
Stains.

I wanted to replace all of the clothing I saw, and I felt sad to see so many people clothed in tattered stuff.
I know I’m not God, but do you think He feels the same when He looks us? Lost lives, broken families, hurting hearts. But you know what the cool part is? God says, “Get over here!!! Let me take that hurt and pain and sorrow… and check out this new garment I have for you. It is pure, without blemish and it’s free ‘cuz my Son bought it for you. So just put it on.”

It has been a busy week, a tiring week, but I’m so thankful for the lessons that God continues to teach me each day. Keep praying for my new friends in Boca Chica, that they would allow God to replace the dirty rags for clothes of righteousness and of course for Robersy and all (about 80) players that he works with throughout the week. We’re excited to see all that God is doing!



Of course I can’t finish up my blog without saying thank you to so many precious friends and family who wished us a Happy 1st Anniversary! We had a great time spending the day together. I’m so thankful for my handsome hubby and can’t wait for the many, many more years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment