Monday, April 14, 2014

I hope you're offended!

Usually, I can NOT watch a movie twice. In fact, it irritates me! If the bad guy is going to lose, if the princess will live happily ever after with her prince, if the hero is going to save the world…  If I already know the ending why watch it?! It’s the same with books. It’s gotta be a GOOOOOD book if I can read it over and over again.

HOWEVER, there is one book that I read EVERY year during Holy Week (the week leading up to Easter) called “More Than A Carpenter.” Over the years it has been highlighted, written on and basically “beat up” as I read it cover to cover. It’s short BUT profound! LOVE IT!

Basically it is a used-to-be-atheist who journeys to disclaim (is that a word?!) the authenticity of the Bible and Jesus’ claims to be the Messiah. It looks for evidence to whether Jesus was a Lord, a liar or a lunatic. If you have a chance, read this book!

One of the most interesting parts to me is the fact that of all the names in history Jesus Christ is the most offensive!

Mention Hitler and people want to talk about him, mention Osama Bin Laden and people have their opinions, mention Buddah or Krishna no one flinches… but mention Jesus and people shift in their seats, look for a way out of the conversation or try to change the subject.

We must ask why?

But Jesus doesn't just make PEOPLE shiver… Satan shakes in his boots too.
How do I know this? I see Satan fighting DAILY!

I see believers discouraged; I watch pride defeat pastors/directors; I see ministries fall; I see countries denounce the God they once claimed as their own; I see schools “outlaw” prayer. Satan is fighting HARD!!!

Here on the front lines of battle in the Dominican Republic we see Satan convince women that since they are prostituting to provide for their family it’s not sin… it is provision. We see baseball players going pro convinced that it’s not love of money… it’s only success. We see young people convinced that it isn’t immorality and drunkenness… it’s having fun.

On Friday we showed a movie called “Facing the Giants” to our youth group. We tried to show it on 3 perfectly good computers that wouldn’t work in the moment until computer #4 and a new DVD seemed to do the trick. But look at a quote by the coach Grant Taylor in the movie – Lord Jesus, would you help me? I need you. Lord, I feel that there are giants of fear and failure staring down at me, waiting to crush me. And I don't know how to beat 'em, Lord. I'm tired of being afraid. Lord, if you want me to do something else, show me… But You're my God. You're on the throne. You can have my hopes and my dreams. Lord, give me something. Show me something.”

I know I feel like this sometimes. Defeated. Yet, God is still on HIS throne. Be ENCOURAGED!!! Amongst the failure, fear and defeat this week let me tell you some exciting things to prove that our God is still doing some amazing things.

1.  My sisters fiancĂ© was accepted as Pastor at a church in PA.
2. Discipleship went great this week!!!
3. There is a new girl at Lily House that is learning and growing.
      4. Robersy’s boys are asking a lot of questions about their spiritual life.
      5. 5 kids got saved at youth group!!!

And the list goes on and on!

One of my favorite moments this week was one that Robersy shared. He said he had just arrived to do a Bible study with some of his baseball boys when an argument broke out between a few of the players. A few of the mothers were standing close by but the boys didn’t run to the moms… they ran to Robersy. One of the moms even shouted over to them while the boys were recounting the story for Robersy, “Leave Robersy alone. Poor thing… he’s not even your father, but the way you boys tell him EVERYTHING about your lives, he might as well be.” HAHA!

Amazing that these moms are noticing and I am so proud of the example Robersy is to these boys. The trust built with the boys has opened another opportunity to their families and Robersy is holding a movie night for the boys and their families’ tomorrow night. Pray for this! The Gospel will be shared!!!

So there you have it… my week and thoughts in a nutshell.

God is good and though Satan shivers in his boots and is working his butt off to attack God’s precious work, BUT God is working harder and we are thankful to be used for HIS glory J


Thank you to everyone who prays for us and encourages us! You are remembered daily as we pray for you too. Stand up, speak out and offend someone this week (by sharing HIM that is!!!). 

Enjoy this VERY special week as we celebrate the death, burial and resurrection of our blessed Savior!
HAPPY EASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am so thankful for your updates! I praise God when I think of how wonderful it is that these boys have a strong father figure in Robersy in their lives. I am praying for you two, and I am glad you are doing well. :)

    ReplyDelete