Monday, March 17, 2014

Adoption or Kidnapping? Hmmm...

HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY! Wait… I have no idea why I said that. Lol. I’m not IRISH! Actually it’s funny, here in the Dominican they have holidays practically every other week for saints. Not today. I wonder why! Something to investigate.

Anywho, it has been a roller coaster week. Ups and downs… but praise God, more ups than downs J
Last week Saturday we met a fun group that has been coming down for years. A group of their men and teens played against Robersy’s team in the morning and then I had the opportunity to go with them to Los Conucos to distribute flyers inviting them to an event that our church is holding this coming Saturday (PRAY FOR THIS EVANGELISTIC EVENT – 3PM ON SATURDAY). 


Within this visiting group was a young man named Michael. An awesome baseball player with scholarships to great schools in the States. When Robersy saw him pitch we considered adoption. However, when we learned he actually has a loving family who want him… so we considered kidnapping instead J JK. Well Robersy was convinced to use him in a game he was planning so after permission was granted by his leaders and parents (we didn’t tell them our original plan) he was put in the game on Tuesday. He did so well! However, more so than that, Robersy appreciated the time to sit down and pour in to this young man. Through Robersy’s Spanglish (which is becoming more and more like real English everyday) they discussed the awesome opportunity to use his skills for the Lord.

Michael (in the black shirt) - pray for his future in baseball
Aren’t we the same. God has given us each gifts and talents. How do we use them for the Lord? I’m reminded of my almost-brother-in-law Kyle, who is an amazing artist. He uses this gift in his paintings – which are pretty deep and make you think. (Check out his site - http://society6.com/KyleHorton )He also uses it while he preaches and as an evangelistic tool. I know others that can sew, cook, and do other things that are constantly used to bring glory to our Master. Pretty cool, hey!?

So we didn’t adopt or kidnap Michael, but he was a lot of fun and we are thankful for the opportunity to work with him and his group.

On Thursday evening my softball team (yes, you read that right. I play softball... ok, well I try to play softball!) played again a local team and although there is still some question about who REALLY won, we’re excited to say that 3 girls and 2 men accepted the Lord! I stink at softball… but the awesome doors it opens to share Christ is incredible! We have another game this Thursday so just pray that I can hit a ball J and that more people come to Christ.

The same street where we speak with women.
Of course, that’s not the only exciting thing that happened on Thursday. There was another group of ladies here to work with FCA. I was asked to lead them in a night of ministry to the ladies on the street. What an incredible opportunity!!! Before we left we prayed and set a goal of praying with 3 ladies. We would pray for their families, health and of course that God would show them their need of a Savior. Well, Christ went over and above! We met and prayed with 8 girls! We shared Christ with them and several showed interest and even asked that we’d come back to teach them more of God’s Word. It made me laugh, in one area 3 girls went ahead and set up tables and chairs to sit with us and listen to the Gospel. When the restaurant owner asked them what they were doing one girl snapped back and said, “We are having a Bible study!” HAHA! Then she proceeded to ask a few of the girls to stand in front of them blocking the men who were walking by so that they wouldn’t approach them. God is working! Pray that the chains of sin, that bind these beautiful women, would fall away!

I’m excited to share that Jodi (leader of the FCA group) and I ran in to 2 of those girls on Sunday afternoon and they’ve asked if they can go to church with me! Pray that God will make their hearts tender to the Word. I’m excited to introduce them to women who walked in their shoes and now work in a job that doesn’t degrade their bodies, but brings glory to God. PRAY THAT THESE TWO LADIES COME ON SUNDAY!

So see… lots of “ups” this week. This doesn’t even include youth group, the beach and Blondies empanadas (my current addiction)… but we’ll stop there for today. It’s 10:44am, I’m still in my PJ’s and I’m going to sit on my porch and read a book.

Happy Monday friends. Rest in His promises, use your gifts for Him and keep your head up!


Hasta luego <3


No comments:

Post a Comment