Monday, January 18, 2016

Talking to animals and the naughty fig tree.

I talk to my dogs.

There I said it.

It's true!

They know when I'm upset or discouraged, many times I share praises and exciting things that happen in my life. 

Chiquita in particular was adopted during a VERY difficult time in my life and poor thing got an ear full as I battled with some pretty dark feelings regarding life, love and ministry. Although she never said a word, she cuddled me as I cried, ran with me when I tried to release the stress, she was always there when I felt like no one else was or could understand me. My sweet girl :)

On my recent trip home I actually found a picture frame that describes our relationship perfectly, "Who rescued who?" God used my dog - even when I couldn't find the strength to talk to God Himself. 

However, I'll admit... there are some times that I talk to my dogs, random stray dogs and even the piglets next door so I won't be considered crazy for talking to myself. lol.
I know the "non-pet people" are shaking their heads right now. HAHA!

But this morning I laughed as I did my devotional. The book of Mark records Jesus talking to a tree! See I'm not so crazy after all :)

But what a beautiful lesson. Mark 11:12-14

"When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. And he said to it, 'May no one ever eat fruit from you again.' And his disciples heard it."

Uhhhh! Poor Figgy!
Can you imagine his embarrassment? 
(Hey, Jesus talked to him... let me give him a personality!)

The God of all Creation walks up to him for a snack, and he wasn't ready. Poor fig tree didn't know He was coming! If he had known surely he would have prepared!!!

Of course as the chapter continues we see Jesus teach a lesson of faith as they return and see the fig tree all withered up and dead. (v.20-26)

But God stirred my heart in regards to my walk with Him.

Am I ready at all times? 

I want God to find me ready and serving and growing and learning all the time! I want Him to find me faithful and fruitful. I want to give Him my everything and not be found empty when we finally meet face to face.

Not just on Sundays. Or Wednesdays. But every day. 

Does this mean I can't rest? Heavens NO! Even Jesus took time to rest. But don't waste your life thinking you're "living it up" with the world... when at the end of the day, you're just a fruitless tree. 

It's 2016 friend. Get out there and do something great for the Lord!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been a great week for us here in the DR.

Baby Josiah is NOT here yet :( But we're excited and ready! Someone does arrive today though, MY SISTER!!! Wooohooooo. Thankful to my brother-in-law for letting me borrow her for the next few weeks. Praying Josiah comes soon so she can cuddle him lots before we meet again :)

Robersy said goodbye to his group from last week and got down to business with the believers on his team. They've started up discipleship again and are putting in to practice what they are learning.



In BIG NEWS Robersy, Josiah and I have been invited to Atlanta in July with 10 of his youngest baseball players. Robersy was asked to chose 10 of his most faithful players and they will play against/with teams in the Atlanta area linked with Parkway Baptist. We are excited for the opportunities that lay ahead this year. Pray that things will go well with the boy's documents and that this can be a very successful trip!

This week I finished up at the Lily House for the time being. I'll be popping in and out until baby comes, but I hope to be back as soon as I can. Thankfully Lily House is gaining a new missionary (Karleigh Jenko) today so timing works well, but be praying for her too. It's definitely not easy leaving home, even when you know God has called you to serve overseas.

Street ministry went well on Thursday. Although I wasn't able to be there, I was able to communicate with some of the girls via WhatsApp while I was at home and my ministry partner was able to get tracts in to several girl's hands and visit a few girls too. Pray for Mieke and Marcia as they continue to have an impact in the Boca Chica area. I'll get back there as soon as I can too :)

We appreciate your prayers as we wait for the arrival of our little one. Continue to pray as we learn to balance baby and ministry and of course take the time to rest... when we can. 

God Bless and HAPPY MONDAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment