Monday, October 26, 2015

Four.

Four.

That is the number of casserol dishes I broke in one night.
I didn't even know that was physically possible! But three went in one go as I was taking the stack out of the oven (our storage place for most ovenware) and then the last dish shattered when I took it out of the oven with freshly baked brownies. 

Of course, that wasn't the start of my rough week. Within only five days our family dog died, my laptop crashed, our truck was sent to the shop, the fridge stopped keeping anything cold, the bathroom flooded and I ran out of gas for the stove while cooking dinner.

If I were in my dream world, the laptop would be sent to Best Buy, the best mechanic would pop over to check the truck (and have parts on hand to fix it so easily), the fridge would be replaced on warranty, the plumber would swing by and gas would be delivered.

I enjoy the easy life :)

But as I sit here in complete darkness because, wouldn't you know, the lights are out... And I watch the crazy lightning storm right outside our apartment, I'm reminded of how good HE is. 

If this is only a glimpse of HIS power, I am in awe. The wind, the rain, the lightning, the thunder.

HE is strong and powerful and HE chose me to be HIS own! 
HE created me in HIS image and then put HIS Spirit within me to help me live this crazy life!
HE has given me brothers and sisters around the world that encourage me, cry with me, rejoice with me and support me.

A friend reminded me (as I poured my heart out to her) "and you are healthy..."

That is just the beginning. I am inside a warm home with a husband that loves me. I have a precious baby boy growing inside of me. Someone blessed me with the opportunity to go home so I get to travel to Bermuda this week. Our ministry is growing and we've seen many young people come to Christ this year. A girl came to church with us this morning with her children and one came last week too, others are seeking more of HIM, and GOD has protected us every single Thursday that we go out!

You see... Amongst the messy, there is a GOD who is still in complete control.
When we can't even physically handle casserol dishes without them crashing to the floor. HE is still present to get us through and give us rest.

It's funny. This last week I shared a devotional about David when Absolom (his son) was seeking to kill him. Poor thing was down and out. Sad, angry, dsicouraged, seeking refuge in the wilderness... Then along comes a relative of Saul (his deceased archenemy) who begins go curse David while throwing rocks and dirt at him. 2 Samuel 16.

Poor David!!! He was already down and out, then this. He couldn't get any lower. He even toys with the idea of deserving this treatment and allows the dirt throwing maniac to continue.

But when David and his men reached their destination "weary" the Bible says... There they were refreshed. 2 Samuel 16:14

REFRESHED!

Isn't that beautiful.

Friend, you might feel a bit like David. Down and out and then just one more thing pushes you over the edge. I felt a bit like that when the last dish shattered... But we are PROMISED refreshment in HIM.

That lightning throwing, thunder rolling, GOD of all creation has promised us rest in HIM. I know when I wake up tomorrow morning there will still be dishes to be washed, a house to be cleaned, no laptop and no truck - but also a Savior who is still on HIS throne and... Life will go on :) 

Praying for my bloggees today, no matter what you're going through. 

May you find true rest in HIM.



No comments:

Post a Comment