Monday, July 13, 2015

Swimming with the dead


I have seen a LOT of crazy things during my time in the Dominican. But the most interesting things that I experience and see are during my morning runs... especially along the beach.

The following are things I see regularly:

Naked people.
Dogs.
Baseball players training.
Naked people (I've seen enough of them to mention it twice).
Tourists.
Drunk people.
Lots of empty alcohol bottles and plenty of trash in general.

But this morning was different. 

I saw a dead body :(

A huge crowd caught my attention and as I continued to jog a little closer to the scene a man asked me to "walk please... out of respect for the deceased." 

A fire truck, a woman passed out close by (apparently from seeing the young man) and the familiar shrieks and cries (common here) as someone called the family of the deceased. 

My stomach turned as I caught a glimpse of the guy. His arms seemed to be paralyzed in front of his body and his clothing soaking wet as he had just been pulled from the ocean.

I asked a woman cleaning the beach nearby, "Do they know what happened?"
"We really shouldn't talk about it while his body is still here (then whispering) but by the blood on his face I think he was attacked."

As I picked up my pace again, running towards the road I turned to see several swimmers heading my direction. Horrified looks on their faces. One woman gripping her stomach.

 Moments before they had been swimming and enjoying that ocean... little had they known they were swimming with the dead.

As I finished my run, several thoughts and life lessons passed through my mind. Here is one quick thought...

While we go through the hustle and bustle of life, let us not get so distracted with our to-do list that we literally swim on by people who need our help, need someone to talk to, need a life-line. People who are drowning in sorrow, depression and pain.

We have been blessed by God Almighty, not to hoard and store away... but to bless others too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This coming week Robersy and I (along with many amazing brothers and sisters) will be serving at camp. 

Teens look forward to this all year and we are excited to play crazy games and get muddy and stay up late and share God's incredible Word with over 200 young people!

Please pray for strength and energy for the directors, counselors and all other leaders/helpers. And pray for open hearts for the many that will hear the Gospel this week!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, how sad and eerie. Prayer and blessings with his family. We HAVE been blessed to bless others. Thank Jesus we get that opportunity!

    ReplyDelete