Monday, October 6, 2014

Why you gotta be so ruuuude?

Are you ready to get real?

It’s funny how life happens sometimes.

For 3 weeks you travel around, constantly reminded and fed spiritually by the ones who have thought of you, prayed for you and supported you over the year. You feel refreshed, uplifted, and ready to conquer the world and win the Dominican for Christ.

Then you are slapped back in to reality.

For me this slap was… well… an actual slap! LOL.

This past Sunday was like any other, but I wasn’t feeling well so I missed my morning run. It threw my whole day off! I love my runs! More than anything it’s my time alone with God and refocuses my heart and mind to the things that matter. My Divine Stress Reliever J However, at about 4PM I couldn’t take it anymore… I needed to run. So I put my fancy new running shoes on (yay! Thank you mom!) and went on my way.

When I had gotten half way I started my way back. It wasn’t long before I heard a motorbike coming closer and closer… then WACK! I doubled over in pain, felt like I was going to vomit immediately, but looked up in time to see the guy on the back of the bike pull his arm in. He had slapped me!!!

A million things went through my head. I picked up a rock. Contemplated murder… jk. Then all I could do was think, “Why you gotta be so ruuuude?”

People are mean!

We can say, “Yeh, worldly people are jerks” but the truth is a few days later I was emotionally slapped by someone in ministry! Serving Jesus together then… WACK! A reminder that no one is perfect...

Life hurts sometimes. People hurt sometimes. But like I shared with a struggling sister this week, we are emotional creatures. Women, you KNOW what I mean! I can literally laugh, cry and yell in within a matter of minutes. Don’t lie ladies… you probably could too, right!?

However, it is SO important, despite our emotions, that we remember that we serve an unchanging God! (Check out the proof for yourself: James 1:17, Num.23:19, Psalm 102:27) Look at Malachi 3:6, “For I, the LORD, do not change…”

That means we may feel defeated, but our Father can NOT be defeated! We may feel rejected, unloved, sad, far from God and still God says, “I am right here!!!” (Joshua 1:9)

I have to remind myself of God’s unchanging character regularly. Many times this comes out during our weekly ministries.

We’ve been praying for youth group leaders with a passion for discipleship. We have lost several of our young people to the sins of this world (WACK!!! – that was the slap). BUT God says… “I will provide ALL your needs.” (Phil. 4:19) Two women approached me this week about how God has been stirring their hearts to disciple girls in youth group!

Lately Satan has been whispering the “you’re not making a difference” lie when I go out to the streets on Thursday night (WACK!!!), BUT “God says I’m doing things my way… it’s better anyhow!” (Isaiah 55:8) We saw understanding and glimpses of hope in several girls this week AND a girl came to church with me!

Robersy and I have both been trying to get our ducks in a row ever since we got back (disorganization and exhaustion is my enemy - WACK!!!) BUT God says, “I will give you REST!” (Matt. 11:28) I had my regular Friday to clean up the house, then while Robersy was at practice on Saturday I was able to prepare my material for the week. Once Robersy got home we were able to RELAX!!!

Saying all of that… GOD IS GOOD! He doesn’t change even though my emotions do. I expect to be “WACKED!!!” again because 2 Tim. 3:12 guarantees it.


Be on guard friends. 
Don’t give up. 

Keep serving the LIVING Savior… 
AND run against the traffic J


First night of youth group 

Antonio preaching the Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment