Sunday, June 16, 2013

Atheists, Reese's Pieces and Trantulas

Honestly this week has been a blur! A week ago I was in bed with food poisoning and from there, the days have just flown. Of course, it could be because of the amazing group I had the privilege of working with this week!

Monday I met the FCA soccer team at the airport with a fro-yo in my hand (the first thing I had eaten since I was bed ridden J lol). They were quiet… yeh, that didn’t last long! Come Tuesday they were ready to get going! I was assigned with them to translate and help the team overall. We began with a soccer clinic in La Rinconada. The girls did great and enjoyed getting to know the Dominican children, but it was the game in the afternoon that literally left me standing with my mouth wide open…
Luci and I after hiking to a football clinic held in a village.
It was MUDDDDDDY!

We had scheduled a game with a local team from a local area (you’ll know why I’m being careful with names in a moment). We were excited, the other team was excited… everything seemed to be going great. That is, until we mentioned the name of Christ. In a country where they are open to Christianity, I was SHOCKED to be asked to leave because we shared the Gospel. The game was cancelled and the girls were upset, but we had no choice. It just reminded me how close we are to Christ’s return. Jesus is coming!

Throughout the week we were blessed with the opportunity to visit Pasitos de Jesus (a girl’s home) and Josiah’s House (a boy’s home). It’s always so special to spend time with kids who have a story to tell, a heart to mend and sweet arms to hug J

Other highlights were soccer games in Santo Domingo and San Cristobal, where the Gospel was preached and testimonies were given. One particular testimony, however, had me choking back tears as I translated. On the day that the team arrived, I was told that there were a few girls on the team that weren’t Christians, but there was one in particular that was openly atheist and was happy to attend devotionals and Bible studies (which were required) but made it clear that she would not listen. We agreed not to offend her beliefs and just  let God do His thing. Day by day, God worked on Lauren’s heart. She saw the hope in girls, boys and adults who owned nothing, but had Jesus… and through the devotionals and testimonies of other team mates that were getting serious about the Lord, she realized that she didn’t have to be saved when she was 3yrs old… she could start now! She shared her testimony at a game today and said, “It’s just so cool to know that there IS Someone out there and that Someone loves me very much!”

God is SO cool.

Rejoice with us! It is amazing to see God work on the hearts of mission teams who came to minister and leave being ministered to. I feel blessed to have worked with this amazing group of ladies!  And to top it off, the leader (Bob) managed to get me boxes of Reese’s Pieces that I have been missing so much!!! I am so BLESSED!!!!!!!!

Alright, it’s 1:03am and we have camp tomorrow so I am heading to bed… I hope I sleep well know that this little guy is close by…

Found him outside our front door when we came home tonight, LOL! SLEEP WELL J

P.S. Say a little prayer for my Lily House girls. The 3 that I’m discipling have a week of vacation. They’ve travelled to see their families and this will show us if they’ve grown depending on the decisions that they make. Pray that they will be strong! I know Satan is going to be working hard this week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment