Thursday, April 27, 2017

Drinking Probs.

My worst nightmare!

Traveling with my Dominican hubby has always been nerve-wrecking! Although he has a Visa and travels completely legally to and from the States and Bermuda, there is always a tiny fear (especially with the tougher issues with travel these days) that they'll turn us away as we arrive at our gate.

Today. It happened.

My heart skipped a beat as the gentleman took a double take at Josiah. HA-HA! Josiah has changed a LOT since his very first passport photo. I nervously laughed as I ensured him that the chunk in the earlier photo was absolutely the same kid.

Following a scan of my passport, the man turned to Robersy's. He looked at the info page, then the Visa page, then turned back to the info page.

"Sir, your passport is out of date."

ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!! My heart dropped, as did Robersy's signature smile. My fear come to light... and not because of Trump's wall, but rather MY stupidity!!!

We shuffled out of the line as a lady passed her perfectly new, updated passport in front of my face and into the gentleman's hand. 

I could kick myself!

So as Robersy is in Santo Domingo working on getting an emergency passport that will allow us to travel on a later flight this evening, I have been sitting around waiting for answers! EEK. What a crazy day!!!

Never leave your phone unattended at Youth Group. I have about 50 of these! 
But I am thankful for the time GOD has given me, while Josiah naps, to share something that GOD has been teaching me lately... through a Bible study I'm teaching.

I have had many "AH-HA!" and "Mm-hm" moments as I study for the Bible studies and discipleship. I'm reminded daily that GOD'S WORD is ALIVE! I'm thankful, always, for the opportunity to then take what GOD has shown me and share it with others (#discipleship).

I have studied the book of Esther, phhhhewww, I don't even know how many times! It's such a precious study and I have learned much through it. So as I was busy preparing for a study in a village called San Jose, it hit me.

If you're not familiar, you gotta read it! But I'll catch you up...

Esther is now Queen after some serious drama in King Ahasuerus palace. Her cousin, Mordecai (who had raised Esther as his own) has also caused quite a ku-fluffle when he refused to bow down to Haman, the King's right-hand man. Haman had such a hissy fit he decided to not only get rid of Mordy, but the whole flippin' population of Jews! Men, women, the elderly and children! What an evil man. 
So all of the Jews were running around like chickens with their heads cut off with their death day pending.

Look at this verse...

Esther 3:15b, "And the king and Haman sat down to drink, but the city of Susa was thrown into confusion."

Your daily cuteness factor :)
My heart drops when I read this verse.

How in the world could the king sit and have a drink with Haman while the very people he claimed to serve as king had been sentenced to death!? 

But I got to thinking... 

When things are falling apart all around me, I have a coping mechanism too. I mope over to our laptop, open up Facebook and veg.

I really didn't think it to be a problem, but over the last few weeks I realized how obsessed I had become! I don't enjoy chatting really... just scrolling. Mindless scrolling.

I know EXACTLY who sells a product, who promotes vaccinations and who condemns them, whose children are home-schooled, which kids play sports, who loooooves their job, who haaaattes their job, who has recently had a baby, whose children have health issues, who is traveling, who loves their dog like it's an actual child, who is having a good day, who is having a bad day.

I scroll and scroll and scroll until my finger is numb.

But what has really become numb is my heart to the needs all around me. The people that are right outside my door.

I am NOT knocking Facebook (it is one of my favorite ways to communicate with you!), I am NOT knocking rest (we look forward to a little rest while we're away!)...

I am simply sharing an area where I have been struggling lately. Because in the mindless scrolling I have failed to carry the burdens and loads of my family, my ministry partners, etc. to the foot of the cross and Sarah sat down in front of the computer just as "the king and Haman sat down to drink."
Look at the this sweet American lady drinking
tea out of a royal tea cup! Pinky up :)
Thankful to have Kelli here living with us before
she dives in to ministry!

I have ignored, because I'm tired... and I'm tired because I've not found my rest where only true rest can be found.

So, why do I share?

Well friend, for the next 3 weeks Robersy and I are going to traveling to see his brother and then my sister. To share with them, minister with them and serve them and their families as well. Although we struggled with timing, location, etc. it is something we feel very strongly about and are excited for our own little mission trip to the very ones we left to serve...

And during our time away I want to take a step back from Facebook to be present. To pick up my Bible instead of my phone. To sit down to share instead of looking to escape. To stop and listen to the One who has been trying to get my attention.

I'm not leaving forever, never fear. But I am taking some time to put my focus where it ought to be and to quit ignoring the NOW. 

But NOW I must go, because Robersy just walked in with a new passport in hand! PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!!!! So we'll be flying out in just a few hours. Pray for no more hiccups and thank HIM too because HE chose an apparent inconvenience to be part of our story today and I can only imagine it's that HE might be glorified.
 
ADIOS DOMINICANA... and HELLO 'MERICA!



2 comments:

  1. The travel visa is one of my biggest fears with my husband too! We are going through the permanent residency process right now and it has been cause for many tears and curse words. Hope you are able to get everything settled and have a great time in America! I wish you were coming close to TN - would love to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, good thoughts!I "lented" from FB scrolling and didn't miss it. I think I need to do it again too! So glad you got your passport.

    ReplyDelete