Monday, December 8, 2014

A day in the life of ROBERSY!

Hey, Robersy here (and Sarah is here to translate too).

Usually I don't share much in our blog but Sarah's the main one who updates you all on what is going on in our ministry. I asked my wife for the opportunity to share a little bit of what I see God doing here too. Especially about this past Saturday where I saw God's love, protection and provision in our ministry.

My boys went to play against a team in a town called Quisqueya. We have been there before and my boys were excited to play but before the game began one of my boys was shivering. Not because he was nervous, but because he looked very sick. I was scared because I didn't know what was happening to him. Many times the boys come to practice without eating since they do not always have food at home, but they usually tell me and I buy them something small. This was the case with this boy. When he said he hadn't eaten we had him sit on the side to drink liquids and eat as the game began. He began to feel a little better.

Then the game started.

All was going well until one boy went to run to first base. As he slid into the plate his left foot completely folded on to the side. It was broken! But he didn't notice until the first base coach yelled, "Your foot!" The boy grabbed his foot and pushed it back into it's place. This resulted in a LOT of pain.

Now I was really scared. One sick boy on the sidelines and one with a broken foot!

Since there were not many people there to help I called my pastor to see what I should do. We quickly discussed a solution and the Pastor sent another missionary to help as I had to stay with the other 38 boys. God was in control!

The missionary took the boy with the broken foot to the local clinic (the boy that was shivering felt a little better so he just stayed on the sidelines) and got an x-ray. It was definitely broken!

Despite the craziness happening I was able to share the Gospel. 9 boys, 2 coaches and 1 parent accepted Christ. It was such a special moment as God revealed His grace through the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Seeing the openness of those from Quisqueya I called a representative from a church that we work with to come and share more about their church. This meant that even once we left, there was a place in that area that the players, parents and coaches could visit to learn more about Christ. God is doing something exciting! (GOD'S LOVE)
But Satan continued to attack.

When I arrived back at the church with the bus full of boys I met up with the boy with the broken foot. The doctor had only given him the x-ray and sent him home. No cast, no bandage, nothing!

To be honest, I was tired and hungry by this time, but I couldn't leave the boy like this. So we loaded up and headed to a hospital in San Pedro. My heart broke as I saw the conditions of the hospital. The wheelchairs were broken, the beds were dirty and the doctors didn't seem to care about the "emergencies." After about an hour and a half we were attended to and they put a make shift cast out of bandages on the boy's foot/ankle and was asked to return so they could re-evaluate the situation on Wednesday. (GOD'S PROTECTION)

At 5pm (I left my house at 7:30am to head to the game so it had been a LONG day) I returned the boy to his home. His mom was very understanding and even thankful since some of the extra funds that were donated to fix our truck were used to pay the boy's hospital bill. (GOD'S PROVISION)

When I arrived at home I was greeted with 12 GAP students who had come for dinner. I was excited to eat because I hadn't eaten since I left the house that morning!!! (GOD IS GOOD!)

What I share with you today isn't to glorify or exalt myself or what we're doing, but to remind you to pray for these boys that I work with every week. We are seeing fruit in their lives and their families are also impacted by our ministry.

I love these boys very much and thank the Lord for the privilege to be their spiritual role model. This takes sacrifice, but we're thankful for such a great work.

So please continue to pray for me and my wife. There are many times that we want to throw in the towel, but God reminds us through His Word that His Son Jesus Christ is worth our sacrifice. HE loves us, HE protects and HE provides... ALWAYS.

Here are a few photos so that you can continue to pray for the work that HE is doing here in the Dominican Republic.

Thank you for listening.






1 comment:

  1. So blessed to know Robersy and Sara. You are mighty warriors for God. See you in 7 weeks, Lord willing. Margaret Morris

    ReplyDelete