Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Baby, it's STORMY outside!

As I sit hear sipping a yummy cup of coffee and listen to the winds blowing outside I figured it was time for an update!

Games at youth group
Two weeks have passed since I last posted and so much has happened. The youth group that we started in Juan Dolio is up and running… full-speed! The kids are SO excited for a club of their own and they have already invited their friends. And we are GROWING! Our first week we had about ten young people (not including leaders) and this past Friday we grew to 48! Keep praying as we prepare from week to week and pray for our new leaders too!

Discipleship has continued to go well on the baseball field with Robersy and for myself at the Lily House too. It’s exciting to see growth! Keep praying for the young people we interact with each day. And as a BIG praise... the businesses are up and running. Salon, spa and gift shop! Open to groups for now and will be open to the public as soon as possible! GOD IS GOOD!!! 
Leche & Miel (Milk and Honey) - Spa, Café and Gift Shop

Recently I was inspired by a friend to list the things I love here in the Dominican. Of course, I miss lots of things from home, but I don’t want to miss the blessings that are all around me! Here are a few…

1.       Fresh (and cheap!) fruit and veggies. From mangos to papayas… they’re everywhere! Pick them from a tree or buy them from a market. DELICIOUS!

2.       A relaxed, slow-paced culture. It took me a little while to get used to this, but I love just sitting and talking with the people. They all have stories to tell J

3.       Baseball! I wouldn’t call myself a fan, but I love seeing kids carrying around their baseball bats like trophies. Such hope in their eyes with big dreams in their hearts!

4.       COFFEE!!! Good and strong J

5.       Bus rides and lots of walking. Although we are still praying for a vehicle, I love the exercise I get just walking around!

6.       Friendly people with BIG hearts. Dominicans are such a beautiful group of people!

This is just a start, but I’m thankful for the “little” things all around me.

Speaking of “little” things…as a final note, I’d like to introduce the newest member of the Lara family. Don’t get too excited, mom. Two-legged grandchildren will come in due time, but for now… meet Tonky. Chiquita is not exactly excited to be a “big sister” but we thought it would be nice for her to have some company since we’re in and out quite a bit due to ministry.

Keep us in your prayers as we continue HIS work here in the Dominican and please stay in touch - rslara13@hotmail.com!!!

2 comments: