Monday, May 19, 2014

9:30PM... lights out!

“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Matthew 11:28

Most nights I’m in bed by 9:30pm. I don’t have to sleep right away (although most of the time I do), but there is something relaxing about sliding under the covers and allowing the muscles in your body, as well as your mouth, heart and mind, to just REST. 

But then something crazy happens...

My alarm goes off! Then I get up, walk the dogs, run, shower, do my devotions, eat breakfast, head to Lily House for the day, get home, answer emails/messages, cook dinner, clean (I can’t sleep in a filthy house), shower, plan for the next day, read or watch a bit of TV and then I climb in to bed.

From the moment that I get home I am constantly glancing at the clock to see if it’s an acceptable time to climb back in to bed. Then I “rest” and do it all over again the next day! It is a never ending cycle and I never feel truly rested!


I was thankful to experience true rest for a few days this week. To tell you the truth, it wasn't when I was sitting and talking with the other ladies, or eating ice-cream in the mountains, or playing games… it was when I was alone with my Bible AND HEART open.

One of my favorite moments was when I stole away for a bit and sat beside the river. The sound of the river and the view of God’s creation filled my heart with gratitude for the One who made it all! True rest… even just for a moment.

But then we come back to reality. I don’t live in the mountains with a river running beside my home… but the God that was there in the mountains dwells here in Boca Chica too. 

Although it is SOOOO wonderful to escape to a cabin in the middle of nowhere, God has called me HERE, so it is possible that HERE that I will encounter true rest too… but only in the arms of my Savior.

I know for me I need to consciously set time apart to rest, maybe you do too :) But may the true rest we find in Christ give us the energy to carry on serving Him each day.



While I was resting, Robersy was serving... and just so you don’t feel bad, while I’m writing this blog, he is lying in bed reading His Bible finding true rest now :) 

This past Saturday boys came from Bani, San Pedro, Boca Chica, Guayacanes and Juan Dolio to play an all-day tournament that Robersy put together. Although I’m sure everyone went back to their home a few shades darker (it was a HOT day!) each child also returned to their home having heard the Gospel loud and clear.

Pray for boys (and coaches) who made professions of faith and for the seed that was planted in the others!



It’s been a great week, and so it begins again :) But we know it’s not in vain. May God ALONE be praised… and may we look to Him for the true rest needed for each day!


No comments:

Post a Comment